JKR of Maryland is an official, registered branch of Japan Karate Do Ryobu-Kai (JKR), under the direction of Sensei Kiyoshi Yamazaki, the Kaicho and Chief Instructor of JKR International. The style of karate practiced in JKR is called "SHINDO JINEN RYU."
The chief instructor of JKR Maryland is Sensei Howard High, 7th Degree Black Belt. Sensei High has been a member of Japan Karate-Do Ryobu-Kai under Sensei Yamazaki since 1972.
If you are interested in joining, or would like more information about us, please contact us at [email protected]
- Initial Registration: $60 (covers the annual dojo membership and the first exam).
- Annual Registration: $30.
- Tuition: $40 per month. If you have other family members who would like to join, just add $20 to the send person, then $10 for any family after that.
Uniform and Equipment
- The uniform required for training is the traditional Japanese while karate gi.
- There are various traditional Japanese/Okinawan weapons needed. First required weapon is the six-foot wooden staff. Later, you may need to obtain the Tonfa and Kama. If participating in the additional Japanese Samurai arts training, you will need to initially obtain a wooden sword (preferably white oak). Later, a non-sharp metal sward will be required.
Age of Students
- Currently, students must be at least 13 years old. Younger students may be admitted on a case-by-case bases. Younger students are normally admitted if a parent/guardian joins the class, also.